These Easy Origami Butterflies are the perfect decoration for Spring and Summer. Aren’t they pretty? If you need to brighten up a dull corner or make a quick party decoration then these DIY paper butterflies could be just the ticket.
This is a really simple tutorial so don’t worry if you’re new to origami. This is one of those crafts that is super quick and perfect for beginners. A couple of folds and a minute or two is you’ll need to make your own 3D paper butterflies.
Use different coloured or patterned papers to make your own colourful and unique paper butterflies. The curved wings give the butterflies a lovely 3D effect. They make fantastic decorations for your room or a party.
Use them as table decorations, gift toppers or hang them up from a mobile or a pretty garland. Make them in a range of sizes and display on a wall for a Springtime photo-booth-style backdrop.
You could glue magnets to the back and stick them to a magnetic noticeboard. They really add a lovely spring vibe to any corner of the room.
Let’s dig out some brightly-coloured paper and get folding.
And a little patience (remember, origami gets easier with practice).
- Fold your paper in half to create a mountain fold, open out and fold in half again this time the opposite way.
- Open out and fold along both diagonals making two more mountain folds.
- Fold the center folds in and collapse in to make a triangle.
- Fold the top layer of both corners up to meet in the center.
- Flip it over and lift the bottom corner up. You want to fold it past the top edge so the tip of the triangle extends over the top. Flatten the center but not the edges of the crease.
- Fold the tip of the triangle over and crease. If you’re using anything thicker than origami paper you may need to use a little glue to hold this flap down,
- To finish fold the butterfly in half to help shape it. All you have to do now is find a place to display your origami butterfly and enjoy.